Thursday, August 11, 2011

Little Bit Of Laundry Love



I snapped this picture on my phone earlier today. I had just hung up this load of laundry and the air was filled with the scent of freshness. I make my own laundry soap and it is unscented, but somehow it always produces the sweetest simple scent. My heart sinks at the thought of fall coming as I will be once again forced to use my dryer. This whole summer I've used my dryer twice, and instead dried dozens of loads of laundry outside. I find during the fall months laundry is much more of a chore.

There is something so lovely about gently hanging laundry on the line. Usually the pug and kitty suntan watching me hang it up.

I started with a recipe making my own laundry soap a long time ago, so long I can't remember the source. I've adapted the recipe over the years and the result is this,

1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1/4 c oxy clean (totally optional, but I do love the addition)
1 cup grated bar soap

I use the oxy clean scoop to measure it out. Just one scoop per load is all you need. I think it works out to roughly 1/8 c or 2 rounded tablespoons.

Mix everything together well. I store this in a container by my washing machine. The borax and washing soda is in the laundry soap isle and you can buy specialty soap bars used for laundry soap. I use my own handmade cold process soap. Buying a box of borax, washing soda and tub of oxy clean will last you months and months. I think I buy a box of each twice a year. It works out to be a very inexpensive way to do laundry, and works out wonderful for sensitive skin.

Happy Thursday!



No comments:

Post a Comment