Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Simple Day.


Simple days are often my most favorite.


I spent some time this morning checking on my garden. We had heavy rainfall yesterday and I was a bit worried about some of my more tender plants. Thank goodness everything was alright.



This is my first ever squash plant to survive long enough to get this big. Our climate here in Vancouver seems to disagree with these plants. I'm certain this little guy is a fighter.



I don't have any ripe tomatoes yet, but tons of glorious blooms and about a dozen little tomatoes starting to grow.


A fresh batch of iced tea is accompanying me on this simple day. After I juice the lemons for the iced tea my hands are scented sweetly of lemon for hours later.



I started on a new knitting project. This is my first time using a stockinette stitch.



And lastly, to end this sweet simple day how about a bowl of homemade soup? I made some delicious minestrone yesterday and enjoyed a bowl for lunch.



I tossed all of my ingredients into my crock pot and put on low for the day.

I used,

1 can drained and rinsed kidney beans
3 carrots roughly chopped
1/2 red pepper diced
1 tomato diced
1 can of tomato sauce
several cups of homemade chicken stock
1 cup dry wild rice (I cooked this first until soft then added to the soup)

seasoning
dash or so of seasoning salt
thyme 1-2 tsp
sage 1-2 tsp
handful of fresh basil tossed in the last few minutes of cooking

Top finished soup with yummy cheese of choice. I chose some lovely double cream Gouda.

Have a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment