Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Breakfast Porridge


Oh the breakfast porridge thing.
I have been a little smitten with it. I thought I would share the exact process (it's very scientific).

For two servings you need,
1 cup whole rolled oats (not ground up oatmeal oats)
2 tbl ground flaxseed (optional)
1 cup water
1 cup milk

Optional toppings,
Raisins
Maple syrup
Yogurt to stir in
A pat of butter
Chopped nuts and fruit
Cinnamon
Vanilla extract

The night before I take a pot with a fitting lid and pour in the one cup of oats. To that I add 2tbl of ground flaxseed and one cup of water. Leave overnight. The next morning the liquid should be absorbed. Add 1 cup of milk and heat on medium high. I simmer this for about 2-3 minutes as I don't like mine very thick. That's it! Enjoy with oodles of toppings. My favorite is raisins and maple syrup. Simple and delicious.

Why soak the oats?
In the book Nourishing Traditions by Mary G. Enig and Sally Fallon there is quite a bit discussion over gluten intolerance and soaking grains. Most people have a hard time digesting gluten. I still haven't figured out if I have an intolerance, I have been considering getting tested. Many people who are gluten intolerant can digest grains that have been soaked. Soaking grains (like the oats in this recipe) makes them much easier on the gut.

Another reason to soak the oats would be that old fashioned rolled outs that generally take awhile to cook up. Soaking them makes them basically an instant food. When I'm groggy and half awake in the morning I love that I can just pop the oat pot on the stove and have it ready instantly. I have also been soaking oats to add into waffle recipes.. mmmm!

In other news my squash plant bloomed. I have a second little bud on the plant too. I've never successfully grown a squash, I think perhaps this may be my year!


My leaf lettuce is also kicking butt. Thankfully we've had some much needed sunshine lately.


Kitty has been enjoying the sun just as much as my baby plants.


Have a wonderful Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment